Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Wild Unwilling Wife


The Wild, Unwilling Wife is #86 in the Bantam series and was published in June 1978. It is the story of Jarita, who is being forced to marry Lord Vernham after the death of his cousin. She has some exciting adventures before she realizes that she and Lord Vernham may be able to have a relationship and maybe, love!

Francis Marshall paints our couple outside with some wild animals in a personal zoo. Very wealthy Englishman could afford a menagerie and zoos were becoming popular with people who had only seen pictures of these animals! Note the high knot of our heroine's hairdo, which is late regency/early victorian in style! A very appealing scene!

1 comment:

  1. I just finished this book. It is SO good. I really liked Lord Vernham-he is so sweet! I think that this is my new favorite BC novel. Jarita is my favorite kind of heroine, and I think the animals really added a lot to the story-even the talking parrot! As for the cover, Jarita is not as I imagined her when I read the book, but still very pretty. I like the way Lord Vernham resembles the cheetah beside him!

    ReplyDelete