Sunday, July 12, 2009

Never Laugh at Love


Never Laugh at Love is #49 in the Bantam series and was published in October 1976. It is the story of Anthea Forthingdale who drew caricatures of London society to gain an income and support her mother and sisters. Unfortunately, she drew one of her Godmother with the Duke of Axminster and now her Godmother, in order to avoid a divorce, proposes that the duke should marry Anthea!

Francis Marshall draws a picture of our couple reuniting for this book. Anthea wears an apron over a day dress, which looks as if she had been cleaning. The Duke is handsome in a riding coat and top hat. I love the little house with the purple flowers climbing up the walls.

Caricatures were a popular way of promoting the news of the day. In many ways, they are the precursor of our modern day cartoon. The Prince Regent was lampooned in many during his lifetime. Some of the great caricaturists during that time were Rowlandson and Cruickshank.

1 comment:

  1. This was one of my favorite story lines! I don't remember the details now but I do recall loving this story. I also just love how Barbara Cartland named all of her heroines (at least in this series) with names that end in "a" - it took me a while to realize that her name ends in "a" too! (duh) I could have been a Carland heroine since my name, Pamela, ends in "a" also - do you know did she ever use that name for any of her novels? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete