Monday, June 22, 2009

The Blue-eyed Witch



The Blue-eyed Witch is #45 in the Bantam series and one of the last books that has a corresponding UK cover illustrated by Francis Marshall. While in the country, the Marquis of Aldridge rescues Idylla, who has lost her memory and is believed to be a witch by the townspeople. He later discovers a plot against her and falls in love trying to thwart it!

Francis Marshall painted a similar cover for these books. Note our hero in the process of rescuing the heroine. The Bantam cover is set near a lake, where they had planned to drown her. The Arrow cover is set outside his estate and our heroine is dressed in evening gown, as opposed to the day dress she wears in the Bantam cover. Both are beautiful illustrations.

The fear of the unknown obsessed people in early 1800's England and many people were hurt or killed by accusations of witchcraft.

1 comment:

  1. This was always one of my favorite covers! I am ecstatic that I found your blog! And that you put the covers and the heroine's names on here! I was looking for just that exactly because I can't find the box mine are packed in - somewhere in the attic I'm sure. I read and began collecting Barbara Cartland novels when I was in junior high back in the mid to late 70s. I got a lot of them second-hand at a used book store. I drew my own copies of the covers and was just fascinated by the art on them. I eventually went to college for fashion illustration.I didn't end up doing that, but still hold these books and covers in my heart. It pleases me more than I can say to see that you have recorded them all here! What a treasure!!!

    ReplyDelete